Friday, May 27, 2016

My Son, The Social Butterfly

For months now, my soon-to-be-21-month-old has been my errand buddy. I take him everywhere: the store, the allergy clinic (for me), the dentist, my daughter's school, etc. And he's always been a hit. He's not only pretty damn cute (totally un-biased opinion), but he's such a social and seemingly outgoing little guy.

He loves to say "hi" and "bye" to everyone - sometimes, repeatedly. I'm always amazed that even the coolest of young people my son accosts almost always responds. I hold my breath internally to see whether or not he's ignored. I've felt sad for my little guy the few times that's happened (but it's usually not intentional on the other person's part.)

I think my older daughter gets annoyed and sometimes, we all are get a wee embarrassed (like when he recently yelled "I tooted" in a chapel during a music recital.)

Now, don't get me wrong. The Terrible Twos are rearing their ugly head already, so my son's "toddler maniac" moments are almost always mixed-in wherever we are. But, in between whining and screaming for a beverage, a snack or the opportunity to walk, I'm hoping his charming greetings and farewells remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment