Sunday, April 24, 2016

Prince And My Kids

So we all know by know that the Great Purple One has left this earth, making 2016 a bad year for losing cultural icons. Whether you were a fan from afar or a diehard fan from the get-go or maybe you didn't like Prince at all, it's hard to argue his immense talent. Prince had a real gift for making music (for himself and others) and his single-syllable name will never be forgotten - hopefully.



Geez. I'm still sad about the passing of David Bowie just a few months ago. He, of course, is another multi-instrumentalist and culturally-important artist who had a decades-long, successful career for a reason.



Both men seem oddly similar in more than a few ways, like their professional metamorphoses or their inclusion of different instruments in their music. Also similarly, they both run the risk of becoming increasingly insignificant to younger generations. That's both scary and sad.

I've made sure to introduce both of my kiddos - one, aged 7, and the other, aged 19-months - to both of these iconic musical geniuses and others who fit into this exclusive club. I want them to know these influential artisans and appreciate what joy, entertainment and memories that they brought to so many.

Sure, Prince was highly sexual in his look and in a lot of his song lyrics. (I mean, who can forget the assless pant suit he wore during his 1991 MTV VMA performance of "Gett Off?" And, have you ever paid attention the song's lyrics???) Bowie was overtly sexual too back in the very early days. His androgynous period which included enormous amounts of drugs and sex is nothing you'd hear on Radio Disney these days. But, both artists made some incredibly-wonderful, memorable songs, films and other art that will never - and should never - be replicated or forgotten.

That Jan. 10 morning when I went to check my iPhone as I do when I first wake up, I, along with the rest of the world, learned of David Bowie's passing and was utterly shocked. I wasn't a huge fan back in the day and didn't know much about his very early personas (that's all changed now), but I knew that his death meant the end of an era of sorts. After I rolled out of bed, I knew that Bowie would be played in the house as soon as the kids got up. I did just that and told my daughter that the man she was listening to died that day. A bit later, my 19-month-old and I boogied to some of his more danceable hits. (While not a dance song per se, when my littlest one hears "Ashes To Ashes," he looks me in the eye and starts doing his awkward, yet extremely adorable little baby dance.)

When Prince died this week, I made sure the kids knew of his music too by playing some of my favorites when my daughter came home from school. The next morning during her school's announcements, I was proud that the staff P.A. announcer mentioned Prince's passing. She then proceeded to play very short snippets of "1999" and "Let's Go Crazy." Great songs and classics, indeed.

Good for our kids. They need to be aware of these important artists from before their time, because after all, they are a part of history. And when us oldies are gone, who will keep these iconic artists "alive?"

My oldest knows who Elvis Presley is (especially "thank ya, thank ya very much") and "Coal Miner's Daughter" is in her music collection. She and I have danced like fairies to "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac and we're teaching her about The Beatles whenever a Beatles song comes on. I plan to keep on educating both of my kiddos about musical greats from bygone generations.


The bubblegum, overly-produced, radio-friendly garbage that's out these days will generally reign supreme to the young folk. That's fine so long as the guys and gals who paved the way for them are remembered for being the first and the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment